Monday, May 23, 2011

Monday Moments #120: a writing prompt for your work-in-progress

(If you’ve already read this then skip past all the italicized blah-di-blah and start writing.) Monday Moments are writing prompts for your work-in-progress. They are questions that come from my experiences and are my favorite way to find out more about my characters. I find I learn a lot. Some of it I use. Some of it I don’t. But I always, always get to know my characters better just by answering the question. I hope you do too.)


You know that expression, "You can't have just one." I think it's some chip company slogan maybe, but it's true for all of us regarding different yummies.

For me it's usually sweets.

And, I guess the sweet factor still applies to my current addiction: old home videos.

Somehow, a bit too late the other night, we popped in an old home movie of the girls when they were about one and three. Talk about sweet. And down right hilarious.

We ate it all up. The one-year old giving a big old raspberry (the spitty kind) to a bright ray of sunshine, watching her spittle fly and cracking herself up. And, the almost three-old who liked to entertain her baby sister by telling her to "Get the tushie. Get the tush," while she wagged her backside at her little sister. And, oh...just to hear their sweet little voices. I laughed. I cried.

I couldn't stop watching them.

Neither could they. The girls were fascinated and even more entertained by their teeny-little selves. They couldn't get enough.


The down side of this post is that there are no video clips to attached, because attach I would. The girls  came a bit before the whole digital explosion (for video). Sadly. Now all those weird, small cassettes need to be transferred to CD.


Has your character seen video of their much-younger self? If so, what was their experience like? Or, if not, why?

1 comment:

Megan Frances Abrahams said...

Useful writing prompt, thanks. If the story is set in a pre-video era, you could have the character look at an old photo album instead.