Monday, May 30, 2011

Monday Moment #120: a writing prompt for your work-in-progress

(If you’ve already read this then skip past all the italicized blah-di-blah and start writing.) Monday Moments are writing prompts for your work-in-progress. They are questions that come from my experiences and are my favorite way to find out more about my characters. I find I learn a lot. Some of it I use. Some of it I don’t. But I always, always get to know my characters better just by answering the question. I hope you do too.)



I hope you all had a safe and enjoyable Memorial Day weekend.

I almost didn't get to this today. It is a three-day weekend so tomorrow feels more like the Monday. But here I am.

We don't have any big traditions for this particular weekend. Well, that's not all true. We do have a backyard campfire (in the fire pit) and roast hot dogs and marshmallows. But, no special outings. No camping trips (really, it's never warm enough in the Seattle area over this holiday weekend to think about camping). Just time at home.

This weekend started for us early when the phone rang late morning on Wednesday. We had a sick girlie at school. My husband brought her home, only to be greeted by a sick dog (and you all know how you figure out the dog's been sick!). Then, soon after, another call from the school. Our second girlie...down. Fevers. Tummy aches. Headaches. Bleck! And I was already sick, so my hubby had four sickies to take care of.

So a bit of a quiet weekend it's been, but still with some desire to get something done.

For us, I'm not sure why, we decided to rearrange our bedroom. Done that recently? It's a bit of risk because you're not sure (at least we weren't) if it will work, and all fit the way you hope it will, or if you'll even like it. But we did. Or we do! It's like a whole new room. (Although, I am still trying to adjust to being on the opposite side of the bed.)

The only thing I wish is that we would have come across something long forgotten, or lost. Unfortunately, all we found was a lot of dust.

What has your character discovered when rearranging/cleaning a bedroom, cleaning out a closet, cleaning beneath the bed, etc.?

No comments: