Monday, June 14, 2010

Monday Moment #73: a writing prompt for your work-in-progress

(If you’ve already read this then skip past all the italicized blah-di-blah and start writing.) Monday Moments are writing prompts for your work-in-progress. They are questions that come from my experiences and are my favorite way to find out more about my characters. I find I learn a lot. Some of it I use. Some of it I don’t. But I always, always get to know my character(s) better just by answering the question. I hope you do too. )


Life's been a bit crazy lately. A lot of unexpecteds to deal with. You know how it goes. The unexpecteds always pop up when you have the least amount of time to deal with them. And, is it me, or do they tend to pop up in clumps? I guess what I'm trying to say is, I have a case of the Unexpected Clumps at the moment.

I'd been hoping to check in with you during the week to see how bright and shiny you're being, or to at least help each other shine. I will try this week. Promise! (Barring no new unexpecteds.)

But here's one of my unexpecteds:

A super sick girlie!

It just seems to cruel that the time a kid gets the most sick is during the very last days of school. You know? Those days that kids don't want to miss because that's when all the good stuff happens; the rewards-for-having-such-a-great-year stuff. She been missing it all. And seems she will even miss more. We're on day 6 of a fever plus lots of other awfulness. Complete bummer.

When does something unexpected keep your character from doing what they want to do?

No comments: