Monday, December 21, 2009

Monday Moment #50: a writing prompt for your work-in-progress

(If you’ve already read this then skip past all the italicized blah-di-blah and start writing.) Monday Moments are writing prompts for your work-in-progress. They are questions that come from my experiences and are my favorite way to find out more about my characters. I find I learn a lot. Some of it I use. Some of it I don’t. But I always, always get to know my character(s) better just by answering the question. I hope you do too. )


GOLDEN!

A GOLDEN MOMENT.

And no, it's not Olympic thing (but a medal would be fun!).

It's 50 Monday Moments!

Not a Monday missed.

And I so appreciate you all coming back Monday after Monday to see what you might get out of it, whether it be getting to know your characters better or having a good giggle (it's okay, I'm fine being laughed at, when appropriate).

You know, when I started this all, I wasn't sure it fly, if people would get anything out of it, or if I'd want to keep it up. But I've been pleasantly surprised. I've always felt that if it seemed even just a few people were getting something out the Moments, I'd keep on keepin' on. You all have blown my expectations out of the water. It's been a real treat to share with you each Monday.

So, fifty is a milestone. And here's to fifty more.

What's an important milestone for you character?

1 comment:

C. N. Nevets said...

At the risk of sounding like a broken recording, Jolie, I truly love your knack for taking something going on in your own life and tranforming it into a character development prompt. While hopefully all authors know that characters should be richly realized personalities, the sort of things you call attention to are (at least for me) the sort of things that are easy to overlook because they are often tangential to a story arc. But that doesn't mean they're tangential to a character.

Milestones? For two of my main characters, it time passed since a divorce. For the third it was his sixteenth birthday, when he was presented a gift that many other boys would have been offended by.

And since I never wuite thought of it those turns, you've just helped revolutionize something I was struggling with. So thanks! Great as always, Jolie!