Monday, November 2, 2009

Monday Moment #43: a writing prompt for your work-in-progress

(If you’ve already read this then skip past all the italicized blah-di-blah and start writing.) Monday Moments are writing prompts for your work-in-progress. They are questions that come from my experiences and are my favorite way to find out more about my characters. I find I learn a lot. Some of it I use. Some of it I don’t. But I always, always get to know my character(s) better just by answering the question. I hope you do too.

(I promise I will tell you all about Halloween soon. Pictures included.)

Firsts can often be really, really hard, challenging, scary, yet exciting.

Think of all the firsts there are in life: kiss, taste, flight, child...the list goes on and on.

And, it's funny how we can put off firsts, sometimes too long, because we fear an outcome or we're just not sure about whatever the first may be.

My family struggled with a first this past week: our puppy's first fur cut. It sort of felt like a parent needing to cut their child's hair for the first time. It can be so hard, like it will change something about them, like it's something you have to protect.



I can still recall when I was around ten years old and on vacation with my aunt and uncle. My cousin was just a little over the age of one and they'd yet to cut his hair. But as we travelled about, people continually commented on cute "she" was. Well, that tipped them over the edge. His first haircut happened during that vacation.

We've hesitated clipping Luna's fur because it's so pretty and soft and lovely (I know she looks a bit straggly above, but she's really beautiful). However, her fur had become impossible and started matting in an instant. And as much as the entire family moaned and groaned, it had to be done.

And done it was.

Then what happened?





Well, pretty much what happens with most firsts. Hey, that wasn't so bad. Actually, I kind of like it. Or, man...that was worth it.

How about your character? What is a first they experience? And what is it that pushes them to their first?

2 comments:

Shelli (srjohannes) said...

adorable dog :)

holly cupala said...

What happened to the puppy?? Amazing how fast they grow! Thanks for the prompt, as always, Jolie! I think I'm going to need some of your licorice to whip me into shape soon...my revision is defying revision! Erg.